GEO ExPro have an exciting job opportunity for an online Digital Editor to join our small team of talented professionals, and to help produce the industry's favourite petroleum geoscience magazine.
Get your applications in now!
The role involves the creation of web pages, based primarily on articles from the print magazine. The online version of the print article will often have more images/photos and at times videos and where possible other digital, interactive elements. It also includes the creation of occasional web explosive articles. Proof-reading the uploaded article to ensure the process has not created errors in transcription is required. The Digital Editor liaises regularly with the Editor to determine precedence and timing of online article uploading.
The role would suit someone with IT and image manipulation skills and an interest in geology and the upstream oil industry. It is ideally suitable for someone looking for part-time but regular work; the print magazine is bi-monthly but the on-line version is updated on a weekly basis.
- An eye for design, ability to work with web-editors and image/video manipulation software;
- Experience in using software for image manipulation, compression and web uploading;
- Good English language skills;
- Remote working with good broadband infrastructure;
- The role requires a methodical and structured approach to the work-flow but there is plenty of scope for creativity and innovation.
- An appreciation and interest in science (particularly the geological sciences);
- Experience of design/illustrator/cartography packages;
- Experienced with remote working and file protocols;
- Ability to write simple code.
Where possible we use ‘open source’ software solutions for content management and collaboration. For some roles we use specific solutions; however, we have learned that software changes rapidly and the digital editor would be expected to identify and bring in new solutions. Software used at present in this role includes:
- Article Creator (in-house tool accessed via web browser)
- Web browser (e.g. Chrome for testing)
- Image manipulation software (e.g. GIMP with 'publish to web' plug-in)
- Drawing package (e.g. Inkscape for location maps etc)
- Google Drive (essential for the workflow and data transfer)
- Trello (communication and project management)
- Miro Video Convertor (to format video)
- HandBrake (to resize video)
Approximately one day per week. Salary negotiable.
Please send CV and covering letter indicating your experience ind suitability for this role to the Editor at [email protected]
Closing date 31 October 2017